Friday, February 27, 2015

Blog # 80.... God works in mysterious ways....



This afternoon I got  a phone call from my sister... Lori, she said that our friend Ashlee (that was diagnosed not long after me with a brain tumor) has a retreat that she wanted to invite Evan and I to attend... It's in Jasper Georgia and the organization is called Thumbs Up Mission... It's a organization that was founded by the loss of a 18 year old young man named Keaton, that also was diagnosed with the same kind of brain tumor as my friend Ashlee was. He had lost his battle just when Ashlee was finding out about her own tumor and the two families had friends in common which connected them  through the horrible loss of their son Keaton  and Ashlee's diagnosis.  Their son ministered to people and loved leading them  to Jesus, his family knew they wanted to continue his work but they had no idea of what to do. This call came after me making a decision to delete some cancer groups that I belonged to on FB. I was finding it so depressing on those pages, as good as the information could be, it was more heartbreaking for me to read about someone else losing their battle to the same kind of cancer that I have been diagnosed with. My heart just couldn't take it anymore. I knew that I am fighting so hard to save my life and to read about people losing theirs was making my battle internally much harder than it had to be. I think once in remission I can go back and rejoin the groups of amazing people but I just woke up yesterday morning and knew what I had to do. I thought about it all day and wondered if I had made the right decision, because I had reached out to several people and they had reached out to me about my treatments I am having done and hoped to encourage each of them to check into them for themselves. So when this call came in from my sister about the retreat I just knew I was lead by the grace of God to be a part of this.. You close one door for another one to open. 

 What they did do is took all the money Keaton had saved (his life savings) and they used it to send Ashlee and her family on a Disney Cruise. They knew that Keaton would have loved they had done that for Ashlee and for her family. 

I had known that Ashlee and her family went on the trip. I just thought it was some big organization that sent them, or  that she had a friend that was able to connect her to an organization.. I had no idea until today when I got the call from my sister. The call was to ask if Evan and I would like to go to a camp for 4 days and a place for families with a sick parent to bring their children  and have a ball and forget about cancer and make some amazing memories. I cried .. I emailed Ashlee and told her I would love to be nominated to go, That isn't the case, she said "You are and Evan are coming" I have cried ever  since. It has taken my heart to a new high that I can not explain. I will think about Keaton and I know that what Keaton's family wants to do is let their son's legacy live on through this foundation and helping other families in need. How amazing is that? I wonder if my family would carry on with my desire to help others?  I don't know what I would want them to do right now but I have really been thinking about this over the last 24 hours that is for sure. I am definitely the aggressive & outgoing person in my family.So I will have to lay out what it is I want them to do. That's okay. Through my story I have had more people (without cancer) message me and tell me that I have helped them through their own struggles in life. That's just such an amazing thing to hear. I want to make a difference in other people's lives. I inspire people and other people inspire me.. Like Keaton.....

 Keaton's family came up with the idea of the weekend retreats  because they were given the Make a Wish trip from the Make a Wish Foundation and made some incredible memories that will live on longer than poor Keaton's body could. . They have the trip of a lifetime for kids with cancer and their families but there weren't any that Keaton's family could find for parents with cancer with small children. 

It makes me want to volunteer with them right this second, which I can't but what I can do is ask you all that read my blog to go to their website and make a donation.. $5, $10, $20, $50...etc whatever you can afford to give ...you can donate in my name or donate in the name of anyone you want. I know this is an amazing place to give your money and I have never met the family that runs the organization but I know that by their story I have found a stronger will to live and fight and to be able to give back to something that is so important. Important  in the lives of children, that should have a place that  their very sick parents can take them and get a way from the life of cancer that  they face on a daily basis. I am  thrilled to become a part of something so amazing. I know that this has touched my heart in ways not many things can do. 

Their website is www.thumbsupmission.org I think you will find some very valuable information on this website and a story of a families desire to have a legacy of their child mean something more than they could have ever imagined..... for the good of others! Your donations could possibly raise the chance  30 to 100 families on these retreats in no time.Cancer is everywhere. Cancer is not just happening to other people, it's happening to all of us... sooner or later in one form or another be it personally or someone we know and love. Let help in making  a place for the present and future families facing this disease and to give a chance for a small child fearing their parents life... a place to go and smile and be in a cancer free world, if only for a few days. Those few days may just be the memories that mold a child's future forever! 



Evan and I are going on the retreat...  Labor Day weekend. I will be looking forward to the trip. But, I will more importantly be  looking forward to meeting Keaton's family and all the other families facing the same things I face with a small child and having the times of our lives pretending we never heard the word "cancer" before. 

I can't even begin to explain how much all of this means to me. As I proof read my blog, I start crying. It's not tears of sorrow, they are tears of joy.... A place where I feel that I can belong and help to give back for all that I have been given at my second chance at life, love & support, and prayers from so many people that know me personally and know me through my blogs and stories from others. I don't have a brain tumor but cancer is all the same to me, it's the enemy and regardless of the form of cancer I or anyone has, it's about the children with Thumbs Up Mission. Read where the name came from on their website it will make you realize how precious the name of the organization really is. 














No comments:

Post a Comment