Friday, January 9, 2015

Blog #72 ..Chemo and how the treatments work....

I had a friend from high school come and sit with me at chemo this week. I have seen her randomly over the years out and about, but not had a chance to really sit down and us talk about things in a long time. It was great seeing her and it's amazing the people that take time out of their day to come and keep me company, it means a lot. 

Before I went back for my treatment, as we were sitting together in the lobby she asked about what goes on with chemo. I guess I thought that people knew what chemo was about and what happens when I go for my treatments. I realized I was wrong and therefore, I have decided to share that part of the story with you all today so that it's not a mystery and there are no real assumptions about how it works. 

I get there and sign in, I am called back and taken into a little room where they take my blood pressure, temperature, and check my oxygen levels. Next they  take this alcohol swab thing that they rub on the port area on my chest for about 45 seconds to clean the area. The port is surgically inserted into my chest, which I had done on my first visit with Dr. Chamsuddin. The port gives them access to  your veins  without having to put a needle into veins  each time you get the treatments. The port for me is uncomfortable sometimes. It sticks out on my chest more than most, because I am thin... but it serves the purpose of what I need it for so I really have no choice but to leave it there. Some people have them in their arms and that would frustrate me so I am glad it is in my chest.  After cleaning the area there is a plastic line that has a needle like thing on the end that they insert into your chest that snaps down into the port so that it can access taking your blood and for giving you the treatments. It's not that painful and there is an ointment that I was prescribed at the the very beginning that you can put on an hour before you go that will numb the area, I always forget to use...so I guess the pain isn't that bad. When they are accessing the port you have to wear a mask, every single person in the room has to wear one. Most people that come with me, step out because they don't like seeing all of that. Believe me I understand. I have gotten to be a pro at it over the last 8 months. I could almost do it all on myself these days. I don't think they would let me tho. 

Once they have drawn the blood and they have used saline and heparin pushed into the line to keep the line cleared out and accessible they cover the port area with a plastic bandage and we are able to take off the mask then. I am excused to the transfusion area  where I pick a recliner and find my friends I sit with each week to catch up on how things have gone with each of us. It takes about 20 minutes for the blood work to be processed. They do that to make sure your white cell count, and platelet's, along with a few other things are good enough that your body can withstand the chemo treatment for the week. The nurse get's the results and comes over and goes over everything and they get you all set up for the treatment. 

It works just like getting fluids at the hospital with the line in your arm, there are lots of tubing and the tubing connects to the port and the medicine goes in. Each week I first get a 20 minute bag of nausea medicine, steroid, and then the chemo... The whole process from walking into their doors to when I leave is 3 hours. It seems like a long time but actually it's okay. I am mentally fine until the time for the chemo. I just hate when they come over all geared up in plastic dressings and have to administer the chemo... Something about them covering themselves up and me having to put that into my vein un-nerves me each time. I do it though even though I do not like it. 

The bell rings on the administering machine and I am happy to be getting out of there. I am on the same schedule 2 weeks on and 1 week off. I have not always done my treatments that way because of all the procedures I have had but I am there in their office every week regardless getting my blood work done. I have not missed a week being there. I don't see the doctor but every 3rd week and sometimes I just see the PA. We just go over my progress and wait for the cancer marker and the cancer to be completely gone off the pet scan and then we are going to make a plan. I have a plan in my mind. Clear pet scan 2 more treatments and I am done. Let's hope this next procedure gets all the remaining cancer and I can be on this plan I have have so diligently set up in my mind. 

My friend the other day thought that you got into a machine and the lasers gave you the chemo that is what made me decide to share the story of how this chemo process works. People don't know.I didn't know ... It's not as simple as it may seem but it's not as hard as it could be either. 

I have to share a story of a loss of someone that I never met but had the chance to try to help. I was referred to talk to someone that was considering doing the same process of treatments that I have been through. The wife called me last week and she was so upset that she felt and saw that he was getting worse. I did a few things I thought I could do to help. I followed up this week to check on him and left a message. I had not heard back from her and saw on FB yesterday that a friend of mine was friends with the person and he had passed away. It broke my heart ...It's sad hearing of someone else loosing their life to this horrible disease. I wish that I could have saved him. I wish I could save the world. I am just me.... and I am still trying to save myself and hoping to do what I can for others along my own journey.  

Chemo this week went okay. I am actually feeling pretty good today which is rare. Maybe it's helping with me taking iron pills. Who knows, that is the only thing I changed. I am hoping to feel good this weekend but not actually expecting it. 

Thanks for following my blog. Hope you learned something today about chemo treatments and maybe if you or someone you love may be facing this you can have a better understanding of what to expect! 

Don't cry for me.... Pray for me.... 

2 comments:

  1. It's a very helpful article, in fact when it comes to health; there is nothing more important than managing to eat healthy food and doing exercise regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog a lot. Its informative and full of information. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete