Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Blog #85 Letter to President Obama

3/24/2015





Dear President Obama,

I am reaching out to you with the fight for my life. I am a single mother from Loganville Georgia.  February 6, 2014 my life was changed forever. I went from being a healthy active citizen of this great country, to now being told I had stage four liver cancer (cholangiocaricnoma) and my life expectancy was a very small time frame. My disease is very progressed.  The liver has no feeling and therefore;  it is not detected early for that reason alone. It isn’t until the patient is in the late stage of the disease, when it starts affecting other things in the body, that’s when it can be found. As sad as that is, it’s the truth of this disease.

The reason I am writing to you is because not only was I paying for health insurance, but I had two individual health care plans that combined, I am paying over $800 a month for.  My claims are not being paid for by these two insurance carriers I pay my monthly premiums to.
The only option for even a little hope in my life was for me to have two different procedures which were  Y90 and ablations. Which I did have two Y 90’s last year along with ten ablations, all since the end of May last year.   Neither of the insurance companies I have coverage through have paid anything. My insurance carriers are Coventry One and Humana. These procedures are FDA Approved and yet they refuse to pay for the treatments. They state that the procedures are “Experimental and not deemed Medically Necessary” which is so far from the truth.
I was not given any hope at life President Obama, seven out of eight oncologists told me to take chemo and I would certainly be dead within 12 months if not much sooner. One hospital told my family to take me home and make me as comfortable as possible because there was nothing anyone could do to save me.  If I were like most patients in this country and believed what every doctor said (they are the professionals) I would be dead now and not sitting here writing and asking for your help.
I currently owe Newton Medical Center over $480,000 and I believe there can be no price tag out on a life. I believe that life is precious and every life is worth saving. That is what the core of this country is built on helping others. The Y90 and ablations have killed and destroyed all the existing tumors that covered 80% of my liver, and unfortunately there are five new tiny spots that need to be treated with the Y90 and it’s become an issue because of the outstanding balance I already have with the hospital. I am suppose to have this procedure next week and I hope that they will stretch themselves out in faith at this community hospital to help me in my fight for my life. I believe they will but I feel and know it is my obligation to make sure they get paid.
I have given you the very short version of this situation and ask that you have someone contact me that can research this and that can make sure the benefits in my insurance policies be used to my benefit for the maximum coverage that should be afforded in the policy without me having to go through extreme measures.

A bunch of denied claims for not being medically necessary that is saving the life of its member should be re-evaluated and determined by these insurance carriers that any life saved is medically necessary and a covered benefit under a insurance plan that focuses on life and good health of their members.

My contact information is as follows:

Mary C (Christy) Hicks
 Loganville, GA 30052
Cell Phone: 770-714-8454
Email address: singlemombook@gmail.com
Please help me, not only for me but for all the patients that come along after me that will need the same options to save their lives. The patients are not being told and most oncologists don’t like the treatment because they don’t believe that it will save lives…. I am living proof they are wrong. This cancer is a growing epidemic today it’s only 16,000 cases per year tomorrow it could turn into 50,000. It’s a very strong and growing cancer help me to be the one that fights for the lives of the precious patients and families it attacks.

When I started this journey, I decided to open my fight with cancer to others in the world. I write a blog that you can find at ……http://dontcryformeprayforme.blogspot.com/   I have had over 430,000 people read my blog. This accounts for a lot of lives, hoping to see a survivor ….in a disease that takes most of the lives it attacks.



Anxiously awaiting your reply,

Mary C Hicks


I attached this photo with my letter 



No comments:

Post a Comment